Community Thanksgiving Feast Volunteer Descriptions
Thanksgiving Feast owes much success to the wonderful volunteers who offer assistance to The Giving Heart. both before and during our event. The majority of our signup opportunities begin in late October with newsletter subscribers getting “first dibs” on the signup process. Fill out our newsletter signup form below to stay informed about our various opportunities.
2021 volunteer applications will occur in mid-October. Please read our descriptions below to become familiar with the roles for this year.
Thanksgiving WEEK Food Prep - This role is for 18 and older during our Food Preparations (Monday through Wednesday) and 25 and older on Thanksgiving Day. Note that this form includes the Thanksgiving Day position!
- Monday through Wednesday is available as 2 different shifts per day: 9 am to 12 noon and 12 noon to 3 pm. Wednesday afternoon can sometimes be finished early and we'll invite you to join with the Wednesday Setup (see below) if we've finished with food preparations.
- Tuesday: You will also find a specific signup for Turkey cutting. This is where we ask people to provide their own knives for cutting the turkeys.
- Thursday - Time runs from 8 am until approximately 11 am. More time might be necessary if the kitchen runs behind. 25 and older for the Thursday slots.
- Thursday Clean Up - Time runs from 1:30 to 3:30. Will assist with kitchen and dining room clean up needs. May sign up for this and the Thursday morning need.
[NOTE: Due to work flow needs, you cannot sign up for Thursday morning AND ANOTHER position within the actual event (i.e., Table Hosting, plating)].
Thanksgiving Feast - Wednesday Setup - This position is available on Wednesday. Ages are 14 years to adult. A maximum of 4 people (with at least 1 adult if 17 and under) per application form. Hours: 1 pm to no later than 5 pm. This task is dependent on the donations that we receive. Most of this need will be working with organizing the items to be distributed.
Thanksgiving Feast - Youth Ambassadors - Youth, ages 15 to 24. YA's will help with bringing food orders to outside areas. DRESS WARMLY! Community service hours are given, as is a YA t-shirt. Additionally, some clean up tasks may be needed, so flexibility is strongly encouraged. It is your responsibility to get your community service paperwork as we do not provide this after the event. Time: Arrive between 9:30 am and 10:30 am. Will be released as work is completed...no later than 3:00 pm, including some clean up tasks. NOTE: DO NOT SIGN UP IF YOU DON'T MEET THE AGE REQUIREMENTS. ID's MAY BE CHECKED.
Thanksgiving Feast - Distribution Area - Sign up in this area to help in distributing items to our guests. Areas - depending on received donations - may include Food Bags, Toiletries, Blankets, and Clothing Accessories/Shoes. While this area allows for 19 and older, we encourage those 19-24 to consider signing up as a Youth Ambassador (see below) if space is available. Time: Arrive between 9:30 and 10:30...Remain until guests depart and area cleanup is completed (generally by 3:30 at the latest).
Thanksgiving Feast - Service Area and Adult Youth Helpers - Ages 25 and older. This area encompasses MANY positions and many time slots. Check the signup form for specifics but I've broken some explanations down here. NOTE: Some positions require attendance on Wednesday, Nov. 24th from approximately 1 pm to 3 pm. Such positions will be noted on our signup form. Examples include:
- Door Greeters (7:30 - 1:30) - Welcomes guests and/or volunteers into the convention center, directing them to the appropriate area.
- Volunteer Check in (8:00-11:00) - Assist with any check in needs for volunteers, help with shirt distribution and name tags.
- Morning Snack Service (8:30 - 11:00) - Offer a morning snack to guests waiting outside.
- Youth Ambassador ADULT HELPER - (9:00 - 3:30) - Assist with the Youth Ambassadors.
- Guest Helpers (9 am to 3:30 pm) - Help to guide guests in our service line or to appropriate pickup areas.
- Food Plating Area (10:30 to 3:00) - Works with various needs in the plating area.
- Dessert Area (10:30 - 3:00) - Assist with dessert area needs; preparing items to go.
- THANKSGIVING FEAST CLEANUP (1:30 - 4:00) - Assist in loading supplies in our EZ Box for transporting back to our office.
Please note that flexibility is appreciated as we make adjustments to our needs and/or donations that were made available.
** check back in Mid-October for our 2021 volunteer form **